Doing what matters


When I was about 11 or 12, I had a rock collection.  A few dozen fossils and geological oddities that I had picked up here and there.  They all fit in a single glass case – I could see them all at once, and instantly knew the significance of every rock.  However, I was also a frequent visitor to natural history museums.  I noticed, in those museums, that the professional geologists and paleontologists had a catalog system that helped them keep things straight, and also see patterns which generated deeper insights.  With this catalog system came labels on the samples.

So, one day, I typed up (on a manual typewriter!) a few dozen labels for my own personal catalog system.  As I recall, each label contained the date I collected each sample, its original location, and a sequence number.  I carefully glued these labels to each of my specimens, and then stepped back to admire my creation.  Look what I had!  It was a… a… a… a rock collection.  With labels stuck to it.  It was not a museum, or anything of scientific value.  The labels did not actually add to my enjoyment of my collection.  In fact, they merely marred the appearance of the rocks.  So, I eventually removed the labels – mostly.  They left little gluey spots where I had made the attempt.

What did I learn from this?  I learned - build something great, first.  If what you have to start with is not great, no amount of image polishing will make it great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Addendum - new vs. old Canon 100-400mm